2 dessertspoons margarine or vegetable oil
1 medium onion (sliced)
1 clove of crushed garlic
10 large or 15 medium tomatoes
1 vegetable stock cube
2 cups of boiling water
1 teaspoon dried parsley (or 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley)
1 teaspoon dried basil (or 2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil)
season to taste
- Put tomatoes in a large saucepan of boiling water for 30 seconds until the skins start to peel off the tomatoes.
- Put the tomatoes in cold water and peel off all the skins and chop into small chunks.
- Melt margarine or oil in a saucepan. Slice onion and fry in the saucepan with the garlic for a few minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and their juice and break up with a spoon.
- Cover the saucepan with a lid and continue to cook until the tomatoes become a pulp, stirring occasionally.
- Dissolve the stock cube in the boiling water, and add to the saucepan.
- Peel and chop the potatoes. Add to the saucepan with the rest of the ingredients.
- Simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked.
- Liquidise and reheat before serving.