Many different nuts, grains and seeds can be sprouted, but here we show how to sprout alfalfa which is a complete food. This means it contains all the vitamins and minerals we need.
- Buy some alfalfa seeds (most health shops sell them or buy them from B&Q or other DIY stores)
- Place the seed into a large jar and fill with water.
- Cover the jar with muslin cloth or nylon mesh and secure with a rubber band.
- Soak the seed for 8 hours.
- Drain the water off (by tipping the jar) and wash under a tap really well and drain again. This gets rid of the wild yeasts which may be present.
- Place the jar in a warm room, but not on a sunny windowsill or radiator as this will be too hot.
- Rinse and drain the sprouting seeds once a day until they are ready. This takes between 2 and 5 days. If it is very hot they will need to be rinsed twice a day.
- When they are ready just eat them fresh!